858: First mention
The Rhine Falls – called “grosses Lauffen” back then – give the castle its name. The ancestral seat of the barons of Laufen has subsequently had many owners, including the Bishop of Constance, the Kloster Allerheiligen (All Saints abbey) Schaffhausen and the Duke of Kyburg.
1439-1450: Old Zurich War
The Fulach family purchases the ownership rights. Zurich successfully besieges the castle in 1449: the defenders escape by rope into the Rhine and swim to safety on the other shore. After it is later recaptured, the Fulachs apply for citizenship in Zurich.
1544: Zurich instead of Schaffhausen
While the City of Schaffhausen has its eye on this strategic place, Hans Wilhelm von Fulach sells the castle and barony to the City of Zurich in 1544. The welcome expansion of territory in the north with the castle and the municipalities of Uhweisen and Dachsen is solidified by Zurich with major structural changes (including the ring wall, gate tower with drawbridge) for their governor.
1789-1798: End of feudalism
The French Revolution and the subsequent invasion of Napoleon puts an abrupt end to the feudal system. The last governor, Hartmann Liechti, moves out in 1798. Laufen is transferred to the District of Benken. The first administrator and later leaseholder is Hans Georg Wipf.